Saturday, March 15, 2014

Memory Quilt

When something unimaginable sad happens, like many people, I never know the right words to say. The experts say all you can really say is "I'm so sorry." But sometimes sorry, just doesn't feel like enough. So when one of Superman's co-workers lost her 6 month old baby to SIDS last summer, and I didn't know how to express just how I felt for that mother, that father, and their darling baby... I offered to make a memory quilt from his baby clothes. This was the most touching sewing project I've ever worked on. I hope I never ever have to make another one.













Update: Here is a picture of Cooper's newborn baby sister, his mom's Rainbow Baby, laying on his quilt.

Note: Through this story, I have learned that siblings born after a SIDS loss are usually called "Rainbow babies." I love this term because it means: a beautiful and bright rainbow follows a storm and gives hope of things getting better. Storm-clouds might still be overhead as the family continue to cope with the loss, but something colorful and bright has emerged from the darkness and misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment