Saturday, January 28, 2012

Up-cycled Tshirts

Did I already write about my new sewing machine on here?  I don't think so...

Santa (aka my mom and dad) was incredibly generous this year and gifted me a Brother Se-400 Embroidery and Sewing machine.  I died and went to heaven!  I'd been using a very old basic, basic Kenmore that a friend bought for $20 off ebay and ended up just giving to me because she never actually used it.  It did the basic stitches, but definitely nothing fancy.

My Bro-Fo (we're so tight, it has a nickname)...it embroiders (no more hand embroidering for me!), it has all kinds of cool attachments, it does free arm quilting (something I really needed), and, my personal favorite: it threads it's own needle!  For serious y'all!  I'm dangerously close to 33, and my non-20 something eyes have definitely been squinting more and more when trying to jab the limp thread into that little hole.

Oh, and did I mention that I'd probably used it 20 times before I even used the presser foot?  That's because it has an automatic feed (in three different speeds!).

Well, enough about my Bro-Fo, because Brother isn't paying me to tell you how much I love it.  (Uh-mm Brother...hint hint)

What I'm here to tell you about is that thanks to my new free arm quilting abilities, I've finally been able to complete a t-shirt quilt project I started almost 2 years ago!!

That's right ladies and gentleman, in July 2010, my sister handed me a bag full of motocross t-shirts that she and her family had been collecting over the years, and she asked me to turn them into a quilt.  "No rush" she said.  Uh, good thing.  Because while I'd made quilts before, I'd never made a big one (only baby/crib sized quilts) and had only used standard quilting fabric, not the stretchy jersey material t-shirts are made from.  I started doing research on t-shirt quilts and soon realized that trying to use a walking foot and feed feet with jersey would be disastrous!

During my research I saw lots and lots of examples of t-shirt quilts, but my favorite was a method used by a woman named Andrea Funk because instead of the quilts being blocks of t-shirts, it was more like a puzzle of random shapes and sizes.  They just looked, well cool.  In fact, that is the name of her business Too Cool T-Shirt Quilts International LLC.  For real.

I hopped on Amazon.com and found a copy of her book How to Make a Too Cool T-Shirt Quilt and I was in business.  When it came in the mail, I read it front to back.  Then I cut out all of my sister's t-shirts according to her instructions.  But then I froze with fear over attempting jersey on my Kenmore, so the cut up t-shirts sat and sat and sat until this Christmas when Santa brought me by Bro-Fo.

Now, just a few weeks later, I'm so excited to send my sister her finished t-shirt quilt!!  I think Andrea would be proud.


In fact, it came together so well, that I immediately pulled out my own secret stash of t-shirts I've been saving.  Some of these were cut pre-How to Make a Too Cool T-shirt Quilt, but I was able to make them work (as Tim Gunn would say) by adding strips of extra material here and there.  So far, I've just pieced together the top, I still have to baste it, quilt it, and bind it.  But, I think you can get an idea of how cool this one will turn out too.

My super cute helper, Thing 2.
P.S. Sometimes I forget just how far removed from college I am.  Then I see a t-shirt from Freshman year dated 1997 and I think my god, that t-shirt is 15 years old!!  Yikes!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this nice blog. Choosing the best Home Internet provider is very determining the kind of Online experience that you gonna get! Pick the Internet service provider (ISP) with a superior network and utmost reliability. Then find the Internet plan that suits your speed needs. We’ve compiled some of the best Cheap Internet plans with all these aforementioned features. Navigate to our web page to see those!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I did not know the entire benefits of Garmin Nuvi Update. But since I have read this blog on map update, I have installed all available updates for my garmin device. I must say that this piece of blog has helped me improve navigation experience. I am not suggesting all my friends to read this blog and get Garmin map update with this team. For detailed information, you can contact us at toll-free number +1 888-309-0939 or write at info@garmingpsmapupdate.com. Our Garmin GPS professionals will provide instant help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you looking to activate amazon primevideo.com/mytv in your device without any hassles? You need a correct primevideo com mytvlink account in order to setup your device.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garmin Express is an application for tracking, analyzing and sharing health and fitness activities from your Garmin Express. The Garmin express will help you to do Garmin Connect download windows.We can also help you out with Garmin express related requirements, latest free map updates, and updates for all Garmin devices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We routinely fix all LED TV problems like the panel check bar, weak contrast in the picture, sparking picture, low and distorted sound, no light but sound ok, volume up or down not functioning etc. Avoid all disputes by consulting the best LG TV Service Center in Mumbai. At Relife Center, we provide quality TV repairing service at low prices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Garmin express update also has to be checked from time to time to ensure the application's optimum functionality. Using Garmin.com/Express is not tricky as it seems to be. It’s just that you need to follow all steps in proper sequence. If you do this, installing Garmin Express will be a smooth process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fubo Tv let you stream endless online content from music to TV shows from sports to TV shows and many more. Peoples login using the fubo.tv/Activate which you get at the launch of the application.
    how do i activate fubo tv

    ReplyDelete
  9. With fubotv You can also enjoy custom-built sport navigation services, It comes with a dedicated Cloud DVR to store your favorite movies, shows, and sports events. More viewers think activation process of fubotv account login a tricky task. But it is very easy if you follow certain steps in a correct way. Fubo.tv/Activate

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the shows and movies are without problems sorted as per the genre, thereby making it very effortless to navigate the menu. One of the advantages is Fubo tv put its consumer interface as the first option, not like different streaming Tv offerings that deal with Fubo on-demand as an afterthought. Fubotv free trail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing website, Love it. Great work done. Nice website. Love it. This is really nice.
    Hbomax/tvsignin
    Disneyplus.com/Begin
    Disneyplus.com login/begin
    Cricut.com/setup

    ReplyDelete